Day 14 – Finishing the flywheel adapter

Finished the flywheel adapter today!

Just to recall, this is what we did on Friday:

Friday's work on the lathe

Friday

Then today, I created the splines. We didn’t have the exact spacing right, but it worked out in the end.

Spline cutter in action

Spline cutter in action

Another look

Another look

After that, I drilled the bolt circle using the mill – very easy to do, forgot to take a picture. Once it was done, I threaded the 6 holes by hand for the 1/2″ bolts we will be using.

Threading away

Threading away

Getting the adapter home, we crossed our fingers as we tried to fit it into the motors spline. It didn’t fit. I wasn’t discouraged though, I picked up the 110lb motor and threw it in my backseat. It was coming home with me tonight, and I vowed to get it right.

At first, I tried using a file. Didn’t work.
Then, sandpaper. Still no luck.
Then a dremel grinding bit. Nope.
Then… another dremel grinding bit. Nope.
Then, an engraving bit – almost did something, but still nothing really.
A drill bit used sideways! Nope. Even worse idea!

Finally, I got a dremel grinding disk going. I shaved down the edges of the splines as they weren’t pointy enough to slide into the motors splines. After a bit of grinding, I tried jamming it back into the motor. It got about 1/8th of an inch in. I took my hammer, and whacked it another half inch in. Prying it out, I saw exactly where the splines weren’t lining up. Turns out I did machine them a bit off, but that was okay – they were only off to one side. Repeating this process, I marred the spline I made with the motor spline to see where it wasn’t matching up – then I would grind down the edge until it slid in freely. Now its a nice snug fit! Even snugger then the original spline!

Dremels are my best friend

Dremels are my best friend

The adapter

The adapter

In the motor

In the motor

Close up

Close up

Closer still...

Closer still...

Kind of wish I was a bit more gentle with it. It’s been pretty marred up from prying it out of the motor spline and other stuff. Doesn’t look so freshly machined anymore.. More hand-made!

Next up, motor mounting plates and we’ll be able to throw it all in the hood! (well we still gotta paint it…)

Advertisements

~ by James on November 18, 2008.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: