Day 24 – Progress!

Lots of stuff done today… and yesterday… Biggest entry yet! I’ll describe what we did using the pictures.

Checking how much space we had

Checking how much space we had for the motor

Grinding the motor plate, shortened the spline, and a picture of the furnace that keeps us warm in the cold climate of Canada!

Grinding the motor plate, shortened the spline, and a picture of the furnace that keeps us warm in the cold climate of Canada!

Attaching the spline to the flywheel - Still needs to be taken in for hardening, so we'll have to take everything apart again... joy.

Attaching the spline to the flywheel - Still needs to be taken in for hardening, so we'll have to take everything apart again... joy.

Got a new bearing for the seized one in our monster motor - at some point we'll rebuild it and get it running!

Got a new bearing for the seized one in our monster motor - at some point we'll rebuild it and get it running!

Makeshift.... don't even know what to call them!

Makeshift.... don't even know what to call them!

For the plastic bumper to snap onto the car, it used these little plastic clips – but the first layer of steel rusted away – along with the appropriate holes for the clips. I took some steel and riveted it on over top of the big holes for the plastic clips to clip into. One of the most random fixes you’ll ever see!

Drilling some more holes

Drilling some more holes

Grinding and leveling for welding

Grinding and leveling for welding

After working late into the night... (about 1ish) we needed some food.

After working late into the night... (about 1ish) we needed some food.

… the next day

Welding the support mounts, and grinding them

Welding the support mounts, and grinding them

More grinding and welding prep

More grinding and welding prep

Last piece welded

Last piece welded

My first weld job - top left - and cutting the motor mount to fit

My first weld job - top left - and cutting the motor mount to fit

Next steps include re-drilling the motor-tranny plate and attaching an adjustable tensioning system for the motor support from the frame. Once its in the right place, it will be welded in place. Luckily the bar is removable at either side for when this happens!

Unfortunately its a blizzard out there right now, and I doubt I’m going to make it to Ian’s to work on the car today (he lives out in the country). We’ll see what happens!

Advertisements

~ by James on December 19, 2008.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: